Thursday, April 17, 2014

Let's get started!

I have to admit I am completely intimated by this very first post! What do you say to start? So I guess I will just start by introducing myself! Hi!! I'm Danielle and I LOVE crafting. In fact, I love crafting to a fault sometimes! Hmmmm, should I organize the kitchen or craft? Should I clean the closets or craft? Crafting wins hands down every time.....

I started crafting when I was a wee little girl. Just ask my mommy! I was constantly coming up with little ideas. I once grabbed a pack of popcicle sticks, pushed them together, drew a picture of Dark Wing Duck and made myself a puzzle! I was given a camera for a birthday present, so I took my Legos and tried to make a movie. No one told me to not change angles with each shot when trying to make a stop frame movie and of course this was the day and age of film photography. Sorry mom! But she always encouraged me and I had a blast. I needed a cape for a play I was making, I'd just raid my mom's fabric stock and make one! And heaven forbid I not tell you about my paint can purse--I decorated a paint can that had been filled with bubble gum and used it as a purse--that one was and still is my mom's favorite. :)

That's still how I do it. I'm now a mommy myself and I have 3 kidlettes. The Big (a very bright 5 year old girl), the Little (a spunky 3 year old girl) and the Little Man (a big eyed, trouble maker in the making 8 month old boy). And I still love crafting and generally my crafts come of a need I discover and my lack of finding what I want in the stores, so I make it up myself. 

My first homemade mommy design has been coined the Karah-All. 


It is a preschool sized backpack that is perfect for traveling in the car or on an airplane. It stemmed from a trip we took to see my family when the Big was not quite 2 and I got frustrated on the airplane with how hard it was to reach her supplies to keep her entertained for hours on end. I came up with the idea in my head on the plane, went home and just went at it. It isn't the prettiest way to create, but it seems to work for me. Since then I've moved into making bags for myself and friends and then this last Christmas I tried my hand at making clothes for the girls. 

I'm not a pattern person. I can use them but they intimidate me so generally I make it up as I go. 

I recently tried my hand at stuffed animals too by making Little Man a new lovey. I'm not quite there with stuffed animals, but it sure was fun!


So I guess all of this crafting just needed to naturally flow into an Etsy store....so here we are as I create new stuff, I will make listings and share my fun with the world. 

My other passion? Helping others. And I want to help my kids learn to do so too and enjoy it. So the mantra of Krafted in America is SaGE MaD DoG--Set a Good Example, Make a Difference and Do Good--and this blog will be about our journey to craft, help others and how I'm teaching my kids to give back. 

Thanks for tuning in! I'm excited to share my journey with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment