Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The End of an Era; or, Goodbye Old Friend

Back in 2010, I was pregnant with the Little and I decided to make a go of making her crib bedding myself. The Big was still in her crib and the Little wasn't getting much of anything new, plus I thought it would be fun. I didn't have a sewing machine at the time and the Hubby wasn't keen on the idea of investing into one based on my little whim, so I borrowed my mother in law's 30 year old Kenmore. 


It was perfect because it was so much like my mom's machine that I had originally learned on. I went out to Joann's, found a pattern and some fabric--not on sale and with no coupon--and a million dollars later (goodness I've learned a lot about buying fabric since then!) I was ready to start my project. It was so much work! It was incredibly intimidating but with each piece that I finished I felt like I had tripled my million dollar investment! I made her a baby quilt, a bumper and a crib skirt. For the record, I didn't really ever finish the bumper because it was supposed to have these adorable flowers on each tie but I ran out of time and never finished them. I did, however, have so much fun that I decided to make another set for my sister in law who was also pregnant with her first. 

I thought right then and there about selling my crib sets on etsy, but I would have had to charge about $600 per set to make back my supplies and time. 

Since then, this trustee machine and I have made a lot of stuff. A lot. And thankfully my mother in law got herself a new machine so did not miss her old one in the past 4 years. 

You are probably wondering why this is a goodbye! 

About a year ago the Hubby saw a sewing machine and serger as a deal on Woot! (www.woot.com). It was a great deal. He pointed it out, but for varying reasons I didn't act in time and let the deal slip through my fingers and since then I've been pining for a new machine. I've been watching Amazon prices, reading reviews, but just could not bring myself to make the investment when I had a perfectly good working machine available to me. But Sunday morning, the Hubby gave me the green light to buy a new machine for Mother's Day! Best. Mother's Day. Ever!! 

I've had a specific Singer model in my amazon wish list for ages. But when it came down to it, I did a little more research and a Brother combo sewing machine and embroidery machine caught my eye. What to do! For just a bit more money I could have both!! I researched and I debated, but in the end I got my Singer. I decided that the Brother was more of an embroidery machine that also sews and I want to continue to focus on my sewing and I don't need any fancy distractions. Not to mention that my Singer does all sorts of fancy sewing stuff. And one day I will save up and buy myself a full fledged embroidery machine. 

My Singer is in our nearby UPS sorting facility as I type and will be in my hands later today. I am beyond excited. But it is also bitter sweet. My Kenmore and I have been through a lot and it has been a very dependable side kick, but Saturday it will go back to its true owner. 

I cannot thank my mother in law enough for letting me use it. Goodbye old friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment